So let's get right into it. This gal was a size 16 basically buttoned up muumuu. I think my face says how I feel about it. Regardless of size this thing would be ill fitting on anyone.
So I had to remove the sleeves first (seam ripped). Then I was left with huge arm holes of course that didn't fit the new sleeves of this dress.
I loved the darts that made it simple, but flattering so I left those. And I wasn't sure about the buttons.
The lighting is HORRIBLE because this is a phone pic (I promise next time I'll use my camera for before pics), but they are this almost iridescent white. The soft square shape felt unique to me, though.
So as you can see, I kept the buttons!
- After carefully taking off the sleeves I took in the bodice by creating some pretty huge darts on the sides. This also took care of the oversized arm holes
- Sewed a new shirt hem to finish off the sleeves
- Cut several inches off the bottom
- Sewed new shirt hem on the bottom
- There were these weird tails in the back that were supposed to cinch the waist, but they were too far down, so I seam ripped those out
- Blind stitched the open darts from the "tails" closed again
- Made a little belt with the extra fabric from the bottom (pointed)
I'm about 5"1 and this falls right in the middle of my knee. So It would be shorter on a taller girl, of course, but I think the sweet capped sleeves and belt make this such a cute summer dress!
The belt cinches it in perfectly for me, but it's not attached, and I think a red or yellow belt would be so perfect with this! I didn't take the sides in to be completely fitted to me, so it gives a little more wiggle room for sizing.
I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out! This is my first personal refashion (not counting the one for school) that I'm listing in the shop! I have done many refashions before, but I've always kept them. I'm excited to add more for sale!
Let me know if you have any requests!