So anyway, my first reconstruction project for class was supposed to fit the theme: "Africouture". If you know me at all, I'm basically the whitest white girl ever so you can imagine how much I was scratching my head at the idea of this. Somehow I pulled off a design that encompassed the theme and a silhouette I'm quite fond of for myself. Without further ado:
Here is the before. Left is front and right is back.
And here's the after!
Just a little run down of what I did because I didn't take pics as I went:
Turned it around backward because I loved that caged neckline!
Chopped it in half to make a co ord
Cut all the button loops off and sewed a new shirt hem to create a V in the back
Sewed a new shirt hem on the bottom with a long stitch to prevent too much stretching (this material was weird)
Sewed a wooden statement button on the top for closure and to make it an open back crop top
Designed and sewed a permanent scalloped wooden bead necklace on the caged neckline
Cut a lot of length off of the skirt, but from the top instead of the bottom
Cut the length off to make it slightly high-low to accommodate curvier girls!
Created a casing on the top of the circle skirt to thread non-roll thick elastic as the waistband
Sewed the skirt shut from the inside
It sounds like I did a lot more than it felt like, but apparently I did well because it ended up being picked for the MTSU fashion show and THEN it won 1st place in the tribal category!
So I won a scholarship! I honestly wasn't expecting any of that. I was just trying to make a good grade.
But I'm so excited to make more refashions! I have a beautiful vintage shirt dress I can't wait to revive. I will be able to jump into it next week after finals I hope!
Thanks for following my journey!