Thursday, May 19, 2016

80s Nightmare to Skater Dress Dream - Vintage Refashion

This might be the hardest one for me to give up. Husband and I were gifted an extra quality time day by the universe. He was released from police academy a day early because they are taking a day from us this week. Since it fell on a school day we were actually able to go adventuring in Nashville. We haven't done that in forever, so we went to our favorite antique stores and then some new ones. I found this one and fell in love with the fabric. I almost didn't get it, because it didn't have a tag and I was going to have to ask how much it was (yay social anxiety). Thankfully I have the most supportive husband ever and he pushed me to get it. And you'll see below why I'm so grateful he did!


I mean, check out that fabric. Seriously so beautiful and even more beautiful in person. It's lightweight and soft, perfect for spring and summer. I could just see how gorgeous this was going to be without the sleeves and slightly shorter. And obviously ditch the doily bib thing.




Run down:
  • Carefully removed the bib collar thingy
  • Blind hem stitched the neckline back together
  • Removed the sleeves (again, be careful with this)
  • Folded over and stitched the arm holes
  • Cut several inches off the bottom
  • Sewed a new shirt hem on the bottom
So I'm not gonna lie. This one did not go perfectly. That list up there makes it sound like a piece of cake. I tried to salvage the sleeves and make them capped, because I love a good puff sleeve. But there were way too many gathers and no matter what shape I went with, it still looked dated. I should have just made it sleeveless to begin with, because look at that!

Someone needs to buy this one before I just keep it… even though I shouldn't.

Please feel free to share if you liked this refashion! I'm on Pinterest and Instagram too.

Dramatic Attic on IG gives you first look at everything!



No comments:

Post a Comment